How does speech therapy help children after cleft palate su

Postby Bravo » Sun Feb 21, 1999 7:28 am

I am working on a research paper for my speech class and I
would like to know the role of a speech therapist and/or
pathologist after surgery.
Bravo

Re: How does speech therapy help children after cleft palate

Postby Christina in Texas » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:43 am

Our son, Daniel, was born with Pierre Robins Syndrom. As a result, he was missing all of his soft palate, and most of his hard palate. He began Speech Therapy at two months old in order to improve his ability to eat. He had the cleft palate repaired at eighteen monthes old. Due to the severity of the cleft, he will need another surgery at about five years old to close the soft palate. We are told that he should now have the ability to pronounce words properly, though his speech will sound "airy" until the second procedure is performed. Speech therapy after surgery continued to focus on eating difficulties, as well as producing sound. We found the therapy very helpful for teaching Daniel how to chew and swallow is food rather that "shoveling it in." Unfortunately, speech developement has come very slowly for Daniel. He has been plagued with allergy and ear problems that have hindered his speech developement. At three years old, his speech is still at an eighteen month old's level. His comprehension and ability to communicate are nearly age appropriate, but his vocal speech is still very delayed. We have had several speech therepists in the past three years. My observation has been that it is extremely important that a therapist working with a cleft palate child be especially trained to do so. Some of the therepists approached Daniel as any other speech delayed child. They provided little help to Daniel, as his problem is physiological, and centers around articulation; rather than being caused by a learning disability. The most useful tools for Daniel have been the use of Sign Language to clarify words that he is trying to say, and "cued speech cards" which associate a picture and hand motion with each sound. It is extrememly important that parents of cleft palate children and their therapists understand that surgery is not a quick fix. It will take time for the child to learn how to use his new palate, especially as many of these children must also overcome other physical or learning disabilities. I hope that this information will be helpful for your report, and I wish you the best. We can always use more speech therapist!
Christina in Texas

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate