Speech evaluation, Round 2

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Speech evaluation, Round 2

Postby heather » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:11 pm

I decided to write a letter to the Early Intervention program from the State of Illinois. After my son, Eyson, was denied services for speech therapy I thought it was well worth my time to let them know that my son didn't meet the 30% deficiency because he was to smart. I read the evaluation over and over again and kept fixating on the fact that the evaluator kept making mention about how he was an adorable little boy and that he was very good with him gross motor skills or that he followed any direction given to him. When it came to describing his speech ability, very little was said except that he was not performing up to his age level. I wrote my letter of disgust, tastefully written i might add, and demanded a proper evaluation, and within a month and a half I had a personal phone call from the organization wanting to know my concerns and offering me another evaluation with a different evaluator. Needless to say my persistence paid off and Eyson is scheduled for another evaluation this week. This time if he doesn't qualify for therapy then i really won't know what to do. He's now 19 months old and a vocabulary of one word, mama. Let's all hope that he gets the help he needs. Heather
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Babyk » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:34 pm

We have not reached this bridge yet but will soon, as Avery is scheduled for palate surgery in a month. He has an occupational therapist now and we've had a baseline ABR hearing test done. He babbles constantly, but at almost 10 months, nothing is recognizable except 'uh-oh'.

I will be interested to see how Eyson's second evaluation goes. perhaps they will focus solely on his speech.

Good luck and keep us informed!

kelle
Babyk
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

How Frustrating!

Postby michellebeau » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:45 pm

I understand how upset you must be...
I wasn't all that thrilled with the speech therapist that saw Kylie from the Early Intervention Program. Kylie is 13 months old and doesn't even babble. She said she'd be back in three months. What???

I ended up getting a referral to a speech therapist through Kylie's pediatrician. Her pediatrician said it wasn't a problem to get approval from our medical insurance because of the cleft palate repair. Maybe you should go that route?

All the best...hang in there girl! I have a feeling this is going to be a long road. :)
Michelle Beau
michellebeau

Postby jacksmom » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:56 pm

Good luck! It is hard to believe that they could possibly say that Eyson isn't delayed! I am SO thankful that here in Alabama, cleft palate is and automatic entrance into EI! We have been very fortunate!
Jackson is in speech twice weekly, and I am finally starting to see some improvement. Still no Ps or Bs, so I am terrified that another surgery is in our future!
Let us know how it goes!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

диеты быстрая диета

Postby ererBoife » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:06 am

диеты и отзывы о них диеты 5 столовых ложек