Odd behavior changes....

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Odd behavior changes....

Postby Babyk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:19 am

Has anyone else experienced any of these after surgery?

Avery has begun repeatedly hitting himself on the left side of the head, in the temple area. He has done it so much he has a bruise. Our PT says it is probably frustration at not being able to have his hands free and in his mouth and should diminish as we allow him more freedom.

He does it mostly when trying to go to sleep or when fussy....the most common times that he would have had a thumb in his mouth so maybe she is right. At three weeks post-op we have begun letting him have his hands back for limited amounts of time, but still put mittens on him at night.
Babyk
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Silver » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:09 am

Does he have little casts on his arms at all? I saw pictures of when I had my lip repaired and I had casts on my arms so my hands couldn't reach my mouth.
Silver

Postby Babyk » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:56 pm

He was wearing the 'no-no's' in the beginning but he could very easily remove them so we went back to mittens and just have kept a close eye on him.

We have just the past couple of days let him have his hands back so he is a little more pleasant but still continues the head hitting.
Babyk
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Linda S S » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:30 am

I wonder if the anesthesia or pain medication caused headaches? Does it happen at certain times during the day or in connection with specific noises?
Linda S S
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Samm » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:50 am

Linda

It usually happens before nap time, but lately here he's doing it all the time. and he doesnt like the word NO lol
Avery BCLP
8/10/2007
Samm

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate